[WWI] Pfalzes' Yellow Noses

Diego Fernetti dfernetti at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 10:24:37 EDT 2020

Mike!
There's a book (which I haven't read) about Werner Voss and the pilots of
Jasta 10 by Thomas Crean. Personally, and for the sake of speaking without
really knowing, I guess that the photo shows us a GREEN ex-factory cowl
with a kite face painted in white. It's just a choice of what's more likely
and less of a stretch of imagination here: Herr Timm got a small pot of
white paint (the same they used for tweaking the Iron Cross marking
outlines) and copied the design from a sketch or a magazine as directed by
old Werner. No need to get the cowl out of the aircraft, no need to give
several coats of yellow paint to a dark painted cowl (in 1:1 scale yellow
paint doesn't cover as well as in scale). A simple job: paint that face on
my airplane. Done in half an hour and ready to fly.
D.