[WWI] Stark's Dr.I

Mark Shannon shingend at ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 25 17:50:52 EDT 2020

I know of a couple of pictures in the older Fokker Triplane in Action from Squadron.  I seem to recall that one showed it from a distance.  I seem to remember it was rather plain with only the lilac band just behind the cockpit, and that is it.  It should have been secondhand by the time he got it so it may have had a cowling paint job.  There is a photo in Alex Imrie's "The Fokker Triplane" on page 88, but it is after his first flight in a triplane and it is still in Jasta 11 markings that appear to be the normal front end red cowl and struts, with a two-color band around the tail from about 10 inches behind the cockpit rim -- the horizontal surfaces also seem to be two-color, with the darker-photographing one down the center and taking up half the total width.  That aircraft was later flown by Greim and he was not impressed with the engine problems.

Sorry I can't help more.

.Mark.