[WWI] SoD Cookup

D. Vosburgh dvosburgh at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 23 17:35:37 EDT 2020

Roger, you might get a kick out of knowing that he sent me a letter where he listed his corrections to Rickenbacker’s Fighting the Flying Circus, which had the following:
“...on Pg 14, bottom, Page 15, top (of the original 1919 edition)- - This is what gave rise to the mistaken legend that the aforementioned Lufbery/Rickenbacker/Campbell flight was made with unarmed aircraft. Not so. A letter from D.C (referring to himself in the third person) to his parents dated Villeneuve, March 25, 1918, states quite definitely that D.C.’s aircraft was equipped and ready for business that day. (Lufbery was too smart to have taken unarmed aircraft over the lines.)”

I asked him about Lufbery and he remembered him with great fondness... Rickenbacker somewhat less so. He told me he met Frank Luke just once, “he seemed like a quiet young man to me.”

dv