[WWI] WWI Digest, Vol 196, Issue 14

Dave Calhoun davecww1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 18:59:28 EDT 2020


Hello everyone,  I'm responding late to the topic of when did I join the
list, I think it was in the mid 1990's as I had been researching French
markings and located Matt Bittner's color notes on the subject,  and soon
after joined the mailing list.  At the time I had a decent collection of
Aurora kits in my collection and had just picked up the Eduard Fokker
E.III, HB Starstrutter and SSW D.III.  Been following ever since and met a
couple of members (Dave Vosburg met me at a New England air museum exhibit
by the Wings and Wheels modelers). Looking forward to joining the latest
group build but still working at the moment so not too much downtime.
Dave Calhoun

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020, 12:00 PM <wwi-request at wwi-models.org> wrote:

> Send WWI mailing list submissions to
>         wwi at wwi-models.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>         http://www.wwi-models.org/mailman/listinfo/wwi
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>         wwi-request at wwi-models.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>         wwi-owner at wwi-models.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of WWI digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: How and when (Rick Geisler)
>    2. Re: WWI Digest, Vol 196, Issue 11 (Mark Shannon)
>    3. Re: WWI Digest, Vol 196, Issue 11 (D. Vosburgh)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 20:06:51 +0000
> From: Rick Geisler <ragfokker at hotmail.com>
> To: World War I Modeling Mailing List <wwi at wwi-models.org>
> Subject: Re: [WWI] How and when
> Message-ID:
>         <
> DM6PR05MB7148EB6F2252F65C61CEFD4FA5F40 at DM6PR05MB7148.namprd05.prod.outlook.com
> >
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: WWI <wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org> on behalf of Crawford Neil <
> Neil.Crawford at volvo.com>
> Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 5:06 AM
> To: World War I Modeling Mailing List <wwi at wwi-models.org>
> Subject: Re: [WWI] How and when
>
> Tack detsamma Magnus!
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WWI <wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org> On Behalf Of M Berggren
> Sent: den 18 mars 2020 09:55
> To: World War I Modeling Mailing List <wwi at wwi-models.org>
> Subject: Re: [WWI] How and when
>
>
> I think I joined in about 2003. When I got My first computer and learned
> of the list from My Old Friend Ira Campbell. He basically told me that you
> all were just as Anal as I was ? Well maybe not in those words ?
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://www.wwi-models.org/pipermail/wwi/attachments/20200319/990a18f6/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 16:02:33 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
> From: Mark Shannon <shingend at ix.netcom.com>
> To: wwi at wwi-models.org
> Subject: Re: [WWI] WWI Digest, Vol 196, Issue 11
> Message-ID:
>         <1921374334.4973.1584651753348 at wamui-sadie.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> Just popping up to show that I am still at it.
>
> I use the sewing thread mono-filament -- I can get it in different
> diameters and now in smoke or 'silver' as well as clear.  Since my SWMBO is
> a needlecrafter, I have plenty of opportunities to check out the different
> brands and weights.  The smallest I seem to find is 0.002 (2 thousand)
> inch.  For some specific uses, I have also taken to un-weaving old nylon
> stockings, then unraveling the threads to get even finer line.  That is
> mostly for off-topic aircraft uses, though also for ship rigging.  It is
> hugely delicate and can be frustrating, but makes for the most realistic
> aerials on 1/700 ships as long as it is tensioned to prevent the coiling.
> You do have to look out when cleaning -- the stuff is no more noticeable
> that a single spider web strand!
>
> Right now I and my bosses (SWMBO and cats) are sheltering in place to
> socially distance.  Since I am retired, now, I am not getting any more than
> my usual amount of free time -- but it seems to go by so fast each day.
> Maybe it's time for another nap - I can think as I nap about why there
> isn't as much time as there should be to get things done.
>
> One note is that I was born and spent most of the first 10 years in
> Berkshire County, Massachusetts: Pittsfield to be specific.  Always loved
> it, beautiful views, winter playground, rocks to explore (from 'what type
> of rock is this in my hand?' to "Don't fall from up there!" sizes --
> budding geologist paradise, TREES, fall colors, sledding and go-carting
> hills....  Of course, helping my father dig his car out to go to work was
> play, not trudgery.  I miss a lot of it.
>
> . Mark.
>
> > Hi All, I was just poking around looking for info on rigging?something I
> > haven?t attempted in 25years?and, intrigued by what I read about EZ Line,
> > went to their website to check it out. Turns out he?s located just up at
> > the other end of Berkshire County (the U.S.A. one, not the real one, we
> say
> > ?BERK-sheer? in this neck of the woods, not ?BARK-sheer?).
> >
> > If I get some, what color(s)/size(s) am I looking for? He has Fine/Heavy,
> > in white, black, green, rust, tan, and ?French blue?, which last he
> > recommends for a/c.
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 01:20:01 +0000
> From: "D. Vosburgh" <dvosburgh at hotmail.com>
> To: World War I Modeling Mailing List <wwi at wwi-models.org>
> Subject: Re: [WWI] WWI Digest, Vol 196, Issue 11
> Message-ID:
>         <
> SN6PR08MB48303B94D3EEB96B1EAF6244ABF50 at SN6PR08MB4830.namprd08.prod.outlook.com
> >
>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Mark, did you live on Asci Drive? Or somewhere nearby in the Coltsville
> area? I remember swapping emails with you about it 20 years ago if so...
>
> dv
>
> ________________________________
> From: WWI <wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org> on behalf of Mark Shannon <
> shingend at ix.netcom.com>
> Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2020 5:02:33 PM
> To: wwi at wwi-models.org <wwi at wwi-models.org>
> Subject: Re: [WWI] WWI Digest, Vol 196, Issue 11
>
> Just popping up to show that I am still at it.
>
> I use the sewing thread mono-filament -- I can get it in different
> diameters and now in smoke or 'silver' as well as clear.  Since my SWMBO is
> a needlecrafter, I have plenty of opportunities to check out the different
> brands and weights.  The smallest I seem to find is 0.002 (2 thousand)
> inch.  For some specific uses, I have also taken to un-weaving old nylon
> stockings, then unraveling the threads to get even finer line.  That is
> mostly for off-topic aircraft uses, though also for ship rigging.  It is
> hugely delicate and can be frustrating, but makes for the most realistic
> aerials on 1/700 ships as long as it is tensioned to prevent the coiling.
> You do have to look out when cleaning -- the stuff is no more noticeable
> that a single spider web strand!
>
> Right now I and my bosses (SWMBO and cats) are sheltering in place to
> socially distance.  Since I am retired, now, I am not getting any more than
> my usual amount of free time -- but it seems to go by so fast each day.
> Maybe it's time for another nap - I can think as I nap about why there
> isn't as much time as there should be to get things done.
>
> One note is that I was born and spent most of the first 10 years in
> Berkshire County, Massachusetts: Pittsfield to be specific.  Always loved
> it, beautiful views, winter playground, rocks to explore (from 'what type
> of rock is this in my hand?' to "Don't fall from up there!" sizes --
> budding geologist paradise, TREES, fall colors, sledding and go-carting
> hills....  Of course, helping my father dig his car out to go to work was
> play, not trudgery.  I miss a lot of it.
>
> . Mark.
>
> > Hi All, I was just poking around looking for info on rigging?something I
> > haven?t attempted in 25years?and, intrigued by what I read about EZ Line,
> > went to their website to check it out. Turns out he?s located just up at
> > the other end of Berkshire County (the U.S.A. one, not the real one, we
> say
> > ?BERK-sheer? in this neck of the woods, not ?BARK-sheer?).
> >
> > If I get some, what color(s)/size(s) am I looking for? He has Fine/Heavy,
> > in white, black, green, rust, tan, and ?French blue?, which last he
> > recommends for a/c.
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <
> http://www.wwi-models.org/pipermail/wwi/attachments/20200320/712ba990/attachment-0001.html
> >
>
> End of WWI Digest, Vol 196, Issue 14
> ************************************
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.wwi-models.org/pipermail/wwi/attachments/20200320/20ded191/attachment.html>


More information about the WWI mailing list