[WWI] Help on Stitching, Please

Harris Contos hcontos at verizon.net
Wed Jan 31 00:18:24 EST 2018


Many thanks for all your responses, guess I'll pass on the p/e technique 
and try some of what you've suggested. -Harris

On 1/30/2018 12:00 PM, wwi-request at wwi-models.org wrote:
> Send WWI mailing list submissions to
> 	wwi at wwi-models.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://www.wwi-models.org/mailman/listinfo/wwi
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	wwi-request at wwi-models.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	wwi-owner at wwi-models.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of WWI digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>     1. Re: Help on Stitching, Please (Michael Kendix)
>     2. Re: Help on Stitching, Please (Oct?vio M?ntua (I))
>     3. Re: Help on Stitching, Please (Crawford Neil)
>     4. Some new WW1 decals in 1/72 (dave fleming)
>     5. Re: Some new WW1 decals in 1/72 (Kerry Lynn)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 22:32:04 +0000
> From: Michael Kendix <mkendix at hotmail.com>
> To: World War I Modeling Mailing List <wwi at wwi-models.org>
> Subject: Re: [WWI] Help on Stitching, Please
> Message-ID:
> 	<BL2PR05MB21280E397AEC12A4E342CB6B7E50 at BL2PR05MB212.namprd05.prod.outlook.com>
> 	
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"
>
> I agree. I have them and have never used them. I would recommend really dark thick decals - I have made my own in the dark and distant past - just printed out on decal paper.
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org <wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org> on behalf of Crawford Neil <Neil.Crawford at volvo.com>
> Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 2:38 AM
> To: World War I Modeling Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [WWI] Help on Stitching, Please
>
>
> I think the idea is to glue them on somehow, Harry Woodman used to advocate varnish as glue, and they?re supposed to simulate the line of laces on some WW1 types,  especially British, and usually on the fuselage sides, where they needed to be able to open them.  I?ve never tried them myself, as I?ve heard that they?re not completely convincing, and I think also they?re too big, the 1/72 versions being about right for 1/48 and so on.
>
>
>
> All from vague memories of the halcyon days when Part p/e was cutting edge.
>
> /Neil
>
>
>
>
>
> From: wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org [mailto:wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org] On Behalf Of Harris Contos
> Sent: den 28 januari 2018 9:04
> To: wwi at wwi-models.org
> Subject: [WWI] Help on Stitching, Please
>
>
>
> While wandering through the entrancing world of the aftermarket, I came across some items by the p/e maker PART, from Poland.  Some very nice stuff they have.  Their catalog lists "stitching" sets for WWI aircraft, one in 1/72 of one type, three in 1/48 of types A, B, and C.  This is all new to me.  Could someone enlighten me as to the different types, and any experience in using this or similar products?  Thanks.  -Harris
>
> This email message and any attachments may contain confidential information and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or otherwise not authorized to receive this message, you are prohibited to use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this email or any information contained herein. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately by replying to this email and permanently delete this message and any attachments from your system.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://www.wwi-models.org/pipermail/wwi/attachments/20180129/69f8cd12/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 09:58:50 +0000
> From: Oct?vio M?ntua (I) 	<octavio.mantua at victoria-seguros.pt>
> To: "'World War I Modeling Mailing List'" <wwi at wwi-models.org>
> Subject: Re: [WWI] Help on Stitching, Please
> Message-ID:
> 	<F266FD637B498A4B9348303DF3804E69022BB886C9 at SVCEXC01.victoria.portugal>
> 	
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> Hello,
>
> I normally do not use p/e to simulate stitches. I prefer to engrave stitches and after painting enhance them with dark paint. Here are some images of stitches for a Bucker 134.
>
> Best regard,
> Oct?vio
> De: wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org [mailto:wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org] Em nome de Michael Kendix
> Enviada: segunda-feira, 29 de janeiro de 2018 22:32
> Para: World War I Modeling Mailing List
> Assunto: Re: [WWI] Help on Stitching, Please
>
>
> I agree. I have them and have never used them. I would recommend really dark thick decals - I have made my own in the dark and distant past - just printed out on decal paper.
>
> ________________________________
> From: wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org<mailto:wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org> <wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org<mailto:wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org>> on behalf of Crawford Neil <Neil.Crawford at volvo.com<mailto:Neil.Crawford at volvo.com>>
> Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 2:38 AM
> To: World War I Modeling Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [WWI] Help on Stitching, Please
>
>
> I think the idea is to glue them on somehow, Harry Woodman used to advocate varnish as glue, and they?re supposed to simulate the line of laces on some WW1 types,  especially British, and usually on the fuselage sides, where they needed to be able to open them.  I?ve never tried them myself, as I?ve heard that they?re not completely convincing, and I think also they?re too big, the 1/72 versions being about right for 1/48 and so on.
>
>
>
> All from vague memories of the halcyon days when Part p/e was cutting edge.
>
> /Neil
>
>
>
>
>
> From: wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org<mailto:wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org> [mailto:wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org] On Behalf Of Harris Contos
> Sent: den 28 januari 2018 9:04
> To: wwi at wwi-models.org<mailto:wwi at wwi-models.org>
> Subject: [WWI] Help on Stitching, Please
>
>
>
> While wandering through the entrancing world of the aftermarket, I came across some items by the p/e maker PART, from Poland.  Some very nice stuff they have.  Their catalog lists "stitching" sets for WWI aircraft, one in 1/72 of one type, three in 1/48 of types A, B, and C.  This is all new to me.  Could someone enlighten me as to the different types, and any experience in using this or similar products?  Thanks.  -Harris
>
> This email message and any attachments may contain confidential information and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or otherwise not authorized to receive this message, you are prohibited to use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this email or any information contained herein. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately by replying to this email and permanently delete this message and any attachments from your system.
> ________________________________
> O presente e-mail encontra-se ao abrigo do novo acordo ortogr?fico.
>
> Esta mensagem dirige-se ?nica e exclusivamente ao seu destinat?rio. Se recebeu esta mensagem por engano, solicitamos que o comunique de imediato ao remetente e proceda ? sua destrui??o. Se o recetor desta mensagem n?o for o destinat?rio indicado, fica expressamente proibido de a divulgar, copiar ou endere?ar a terceiros. Alertamos para que o seu conte?do pode ser alterado, adulterado ou falsificado, pelo que dever? ser confirmado por carta endere?ada ? VICTORIA, por forma a garantir a sua autenticidade. Para mais informa??es sobre a VICTORIA ? Seguros consulte o nosso site institucional:
> http://www.victoria-seguros.pt
>
> Este e-mail ? amigo do ambiente, pondere antes de o imprimir!
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://www.wwi-models.org/pipermail/wwi/attachments/20180130/427f2718/attachment-0001.html>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: IMG_1317_2.jpg
> Type: image/jpeg
> Size: 22560 bytes
> Desc: IMG_1317_2.jpg
> URL: <http://www.wwi-models.org/pipermail/wwi/attachments/20180130/427f2718/attachment-0002.jpg>
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: IMG_1300_2.jpg
> Type: image/jpeg
> Size: 33655 bytes
> Desc: IMG_1300_2.jpg
> URL: <http://www.wwi-models.org/pipermail/wwi/attachments/20180130/427f2718/attachment-0003.jpg>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 10:07:53 +0000
> From: Crawford Neil <Neil.Crawford at volvo.com>
> To: World War I Modeling Mailing List <wwi at wwi-models.org>
> Subject: Re: [WWI] Help on Stitching, Please
> Message-ID:
> 	<43ba1563c9e54e0190204c269dfe6e61 at SEGOTNC5117-N4.vcn.ds.volvo.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
> They look good Octavio. Way to go I think.
> /Neil
>
> From: wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org [mailto:wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org] On Behalf Of Oct?vio M?ntua (I)
> Sent: den 30 januari 2018 10:59
> To: 'World War I Modeling Mailing List'
> Subject: Re: [WWI] Help on Stitching, Please
>
> Hello,
>
> I normally do not use p/e to simulate stitches. I prefer to engrave stitches and after painting enhance them with dark paint. Here are some images of stitches for a Bucker 134.
>
> Best regard,
> Oct?vio
> De: wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org<mailto:wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org> [mailto:wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org] Em nome de Michael Kendix
> Enviada: segunda-feira, 29 de janeiro de 2018 22:32
> Para: World War I Modeling Mailing List
> Assunto: Re: [WWI] Help on Stitching, Please
>
>
> I agree. I have them and have never used them. I would recommend really dark thick decals - I have made my own in the dark and distant past - just printed out on decal paper.
>
> ________________________________
> From: wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org<mailto:wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org> <wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org<mailto:wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org>> on behalf of Crawford Neil <Neil.Crawford at volvo.com<mailto:Neil.Crawford at volvo.com>>
> Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 2:38 AM
> To: World War I Modeling Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [WWI] Help on Stitching, Please
>
>
> I think the idea is to glue them on somehow, Harry Woodman used to advocate varnish as glue, and they?re supposed to simulate the line of laces on some WW1 types,  especially British, and usually on the fuselage sides, where they needed to be able to open them.  I?ve never tried them myself, as I?ve heard that they?re not completely convincing, and I think also they?re too big, the 1/72 versions being about right for 1/48 and so on.
>
>
>
> All from vague memories of the halcyon days when Part p/e was cutting edge.
>
> /Neil
>
>
>
>
>
> From: wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org<mailto:wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org> [mailto:wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org] On Behalf Of Harris Contos
> Sent: den 28 januari 2018 9:04
> To: wwi at wwi-models.org<mailto:wwi at wwi-models.org>
> Subject: [WWI] Help on Stitching, Please
>
>
>
> While wandering through the entrancing world of the aftermarket, I came across some items by the p/e maker PART, from Poland.  Some very nice stuff they have.  Their catalog lists "stitching" sets for WWI aircraft, one in 1/72 of one type, three in 1/48 of types A, B, and C.  This is all new to me.  Could someone enlighten me as to the different types, and any experience in using this or similar products?  Thanks.  -Harris
>
> This email message and any attachments may contain confidential information and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or otherwise not authorized to receive this message, you are prohibited to use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this email or any information contained herein. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender immediately by replying to this email and permanently delete this message and any attachments from your system.
> ________________________________
> O presente e-mail encontra-se ao abrigo do novo acordo ortogr?fico.
>
> Esta mensagem dirige-se ?nica e exclusivamente ao seu destinat?rio. Se recebeu esta mensagem por engano, solicitamos que o comunique de imediato ao remetente e proceda ? sua destrui??o. Se o recetor desta mensagem n?o for o destinat?rio indicado, fica expressamente proibido de a divulgar, copiar ou endere?ar a terceiros. Alertamos para que o seu conte?do pode ser alterado, adulterado ou falsificado, pelo que dever? ser confirmado por carta endere?ada ? VICTORIA, por forma a garantir a sua autenticidade. Para mais informa??es sobre a VICTORIA ? Seguros consulte o nosso site institucional:
> http://www.victoria-seguros.pt
>
> Este e-mail ? amigo do ambiente, pondere antes de o imprimir!
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://www.wwi-models.org/pipermail/wwi/attachments/20180130/46edb698/attachment-0001.html>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 10:15:18 +0000
> From: dave fleming <dave.fleming2 at dial.pipex.com>
> To: World War I Modeling Mailing List <wwi at wwi-models.org>
> Subject: [WWI] Some new WW1 decals in 1/72
> Message-ID: <1517307318.5a7045b61d81e at netmail.pipex.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> >From the AZ/KP strable
>
> http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235032619-sopwith-camel-172-decals/
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 09:54:58 -0500
> From: Kerry Lynn <kerlyn2001 at verizon.net>
> To: wwi at wwi-models.org
> Subject: Re: [WWI] Some new WW1 decals in 1/72
> Message-ID: <df13c824-3ff0-054a-354e-b345b23a3b94 at verizon.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
>
> Three cheers for "British Nieuports" (upcoming)
>
>
> On 1/30/18 5:15 AM, dave fleming wrote:
>> >From the AZ/KP strable
>>
>> http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235032619-sopwith-camel-172-decals/
>>
>>
>
>
> End of WWI Digest, Vol 170, Issue 10
> ************************************
>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://www.wwi-models.org/pipermail/wwi/attachments/20180131/cfad7662/attachment.html>


More information about the WWI mailing list