[WWI] Barker's Camel

Thunderbird Models tbirdmodels at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 06:43:29 EDT 2017

The Wingnuts Camels arrived a couple of days ago. I'll dispense with the
usual superlatives; they are typical WNW quality - enough said! I take
issue with their depiction of Barker's Camel though. They have it as glossy
PC10 cowling and metal / wood panels. Surely this can't be? Photographs
show this to be extremely dark - black or red would be my guess - nowhere
near the PC10 of the rest of the airframe, even taking into account tonal
differences due to gloss vs semi-gloss paint or the different materials
being covered. In Chaz Bowyer's "Sopwith Camel, King of Combat", it's
stated that one of Barker's pilot's said he "liked a show" and painted the
small spinner red. No mention of red being applied anywhere else, but
surely someone who "liked a show" would not have had his machines cowling
etc. overpainted in dull PC10?!

Anyone know where Wingnuts got this idea from? Is there any documentation
to support it? It's not standard practice as far as I'm aware so I can't
see Barker requesting such a dull scheme. I may drop Wingnuts a line to see
where they came up with the colouring.

Andy Bannister
Thunderbird Models Ltd
www.thunderbirdmodels.co.uk