[WWI] Fokker D.VI

Paul Thompson flutes at xs4all.nl
Fri May 13 04:49:14 EDT 2016

    Finally got around to having a look. The Roden and Aeroclub fuselages match up quite well, except the lower wing is about 1/2 cm further forward on the Roden kit. The Roden lower wing is a mm or 2 shorter in span, the top one is the other way around. Both are longer than the plan. Aeroclub tailplane isn't great for shape or size, Roden much better. Rudders are both off, but the Roden being bigger allows you to sand it down. Minor problems with shapes of aileron and wing tips in both cases.

    Since the top wing plan view is slightly smaller than the framework plan of the same, on the same page, I think it's safe to say this is another case where something hgas gone awry either in preparation of the plans or in re-dimensioning by the printer. So the published dimensions may well be correct.

    BTW, Drastic flexing of the top wing on my example took out the warp quite nicely, only took a few seconds. If the plastic in yours doesn't respond as well it may be worth trying the usual resin treatment of heating in hot water before flexing, cursing while you burn your fingers, then cooling rapidly under the cold tap to freeze it in place. That takes only a few seconds longer so has to be faster than modding a Revell wing.

Paul.