[WWI] Monoplane cook-up - Le Vengeur

Carlos Carreira cacarr1960 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 13:27:45 EST 2016

Please find attached some photos of my progress with the Morane.

I corrected some profile issues in the fuselage (comparing with the
drawings in Datafile 58). Nothing too serious, but as one stringer starts
at the top of the exhaust tunnel I added a piece of plastic to reduce the
angle. I also cut the rear fuselage by the top longeron, leaving just a
small part near the head rest to help with the alignment of the fuselage
halfs. This will be cut later and replaced by a different, narrower, head
rest. I made a new plan top with plastic card.

[image: Inline image 1] [image: Inline image 2]

As the two locating pins don't help too much (in fact, they prevent a
correct alignment) I replaced them by tabs made from plastic card. This
helps a lot not only with alignment but also when you must work with both
halfs unglued, as in this case.

[image: Inline image 3] [image: Inline image 4]

One main problem with the kit is the lack of definition of the fuselage
stringers, something that adds a lot to the "monocoque" Morane character.
So I did new stringers with stretched sprue glued in grooves made with the
help of a cutter blade. Scotch plastic tape 471 helps a lot on this work.
It's not difficult nor time consuming, it only needs care and precision.

[image: Inline image 5][image: Inline image 6][image: Inline image 7]

Next I spread putty all over...

[image: Inline image 8]

...and after a few minutes I could scrape it *very carefully* along the
stringers using a #11 blade. I needed to redo some spots and it still needs
priming and sanding but the result is in my opinion good, if you compare it
with the original.

[image: Inline image 9] [image: Inline image 10]

Stay tuned for more progress soon!

Carlos