[WWI] Fwd: Updated: Saturday 04/30/16 mid-Atlantic Chapter League of World War I Aviation Historians

Dave Calhoun davecww1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 21:21:14 EDT 2016

Hi I haven't been following the list lately but have some important (to me
anyway) information for all of the WW1 modelers in the Washington DC area.
On Saturday April 30 I have been invited, along with Tom Darcey, to give a
presentation to the Mid Atlantic Chapter of the League of World War 1 Aero
Historians entitled "The relevance of building a representative physical
model and historical investigation research." Hopefully we will be able to
put on a great presentation illustrated with some of our models along with
photographic research that leads us to more realistic scale models.
Dave Calhoun

[image: cid:image001.jpg at 01D0BB1A.5458BD70]

*Saturday – April 30th, 2016*

*Will be the 20th meeting of the*

*Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the*

*League of World War I Aviation Historians.*

*The meeting is at the *

*National Air and Space Museum’s*

*Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center*

*On the Hangar Floor Level, Classroom 2a and2b*

*(web link) **http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center//*
<http://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/>

[image: cid:image002.png at 01D0BB1A.5458BD70]

*Schedule for Saturday – **April 30th, 2016*

*10:00AM - Museum door opens*

*Pre-meeting Book Exchange*…. we are going to continue our book exchange.
The idea is for attending members to go through their own collection and
find aviation or *WWI* books that they no longer want and exchange them for
equal or lesser value.  How does that work… if you have a paperback you can
exchange it for another paperback if you have a hardcover you can exchange
it for a hardcover or paperback. The limit will be four (4) books per
member. Special thanks to Frank Garove a member of the group who made a
generous donation of nearly 100 aviation books.

*10:15AM - 10:30AM* – *Meeting begins* in Classroom 2a and 2b – Nuts,
Bolts, Stick and Fabric (the opening remarks and our short business meeting)

*10:30AM - 11:30AM* - *Presentation *by Marc Wortman, Author
*How the Navy Learned to Fly in World War I*

Drawing on his book, *The Millionaires' Unit*, and the new award-winning
documentary film the book inspired, Marc Wortman, PhD, will share the all
but forgotten story of the First Yale Unit whose dreams of starting a
school flight club resulted in them becoming war heroes. The young aviators
formed the founding squadron of the Navy Air Reserve and became the nucleus
of the Navy’s air service during World War I. The survivors went on to
serve as leaders in the rise of US air power and victory in the Second
World War and beyond. Marc will also briefly introduce his new book about
the period before U.S. entry into World War II, *1941: Fighting the Shadow
War.*

[image: cid:image005.png at 01D18FE3.A3231AB0]        [image:
cid:image006.jpg at 01D19184.0B3FB490]

*11:45AM - 12:30PM* –* Presentation *by Tom Darcey & Dave Calhoun

*The relevance of building a representative physical model and historical
investigation research.*

Aside from the skill set required to construct a detailed scale model of a
historic aircraft, which in itself is a rather an involved process
requiring a steady hand and a keen eye the importance of accuracy in the
color and markings comes into play. In this regard the effort to establish
and depict the aircraft necessitates an in-depth analysis from photographs,
samples and investigative talents. This presentation will cite all these
factors and examine the process and what can be derived from such an effort.

[image: cid:image008.jpg at 01D185DC.B20DE750]

*12:30PM - 1:15PM* – *Lunch* at McDonalds or at McDonalds Café, or if you
are inclined of course you can *brown-bag* it.

*1:20PM* *-2:10PM* –* Works in Progress (WiP)!*

Typically we have some interesting WIP’s that will be shared at these
meetings…

If you have something to share please do so this section of the meeting it
is the perfect opportunity to share, request and exchange information, and
some very good opportunities have come at this portion of the meeting

*2:15PM - 3:00PM - Presentation *by Bob van der Linden, Curator NASM,
Author and Historian
*United States WWI Aircraft Production - Disgrace or Realization*

With the shift into war production, the United States would for the first
time in the 20th century need large scale corporate contracts to fulfil the
need for armament; none would be more complex than those for aircraft. Bob
offers insight into the how and why production of aircraft would evolve in
the US and the lessons learned.

The whole situation may be summed up in the words of Winston Churchill, who
once said of military supply plans, "The first year - nothing; the second
year - a trickle, the third year - all you want."

[image: cid:image007.jpg at 01D185DC.903D70A0]

*3:15PM - 4:00PM* – *Presentation *by Jon Guttman, Author and Historian

*The BE 2c as…a fighter?!?*

When the BE 2c entered service in 1914, it was renowned for its stability,
ideal for a reconnaissance plane…until 1915, when it encountered the first
German fighters and that very trait turned it into an easy mark with
wings—Fokker Fodder. When Zeppelins began bombing Britain by night,
however, the need for a specialized night fighter capable of intercepting
the airships led to the development of a number of specialized airplanes,
all of which turned out to be duds. The most successful by 1916 was a very
conventional single seater modified from a two-seater with a single Lewis
gun firing upward, whose docile stability freed the pilot’s mind for
dealing with all the other hazards involved in combat flying at night. By
its plurality of successes, the champion Zepp fighter was…the BE 2c!

[image: cid:image009.jpg at 01D185DC.B20DE750]

*4:30PM – Meeting room closes*

*4:30 – 5:30PM On your own tour of the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center*

*5:30PM – The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center closes*

We would appreciate an *RSVP* as soon as possible so that we can gauge the
number of people planning to attend.

There is *no formal membership* required to attend therefore if you know of
anyone who is interested in this aspect of aviation history they are most
welcome.

The parent organization, the League of World War I Aviation Historians,
(link) http://www.overthefront.com/ publishes a periodic journal and there
are dues for that, if anyone wants to join, they are welcome on their own
to do so outside of this meeting.

There is *no fee for attending* the meeting, although there is a *$15
parking fee* at the museum, therefore consider *carpooling*.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate contacting us:

Chris (moorec at si.edu)

Carl (bobrowc at si.edu
<https://webaccess.si.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=gVd8dHdwh0qTnMDgoxryEPbrK4u-3dAIqPh7ZL7YFYyoPPil07skyMu5dsRMzjQMuIB9yRAUkQg.&URL=mailto%3abobrowc%40si.edu>
)

Jon (barrettjr at si.edu <barrettj at si.edu>)

Charley (gossec at verizon.net
<https://webaccess.si.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=gVd8dHdwh0qTnMDgoxryEPbrK4u-3dAIqPh7ZL7YFYyoPPil07skyMu5dsRMzjQMuIB9yRAUkQg.&URL=mailto%3agossec%40verizon.net>
)

 *PS: Please feel free to distribute this meeting notice… or contact me if
you have any suggestions… or needs….*

*PPS: The sessions from the previous meeting are available on the League’s
YouTube channel… **http://goo.gl/0lCrox <http://goo.gl/0lCrox>*