[WWI] Filling those indentations on vac wings

Shane Weier bristolf2b at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 13 19:53:28 EST 2014

D says

The cleaning must be done while the putty is still soft, as soon as
    you lay down a smear of the paste on the wingrib groove. With a wet
    finger, just a pass over the rib to settle the putty on the groove
    and wipe off the rest. The advantage is that milliput can be cleaned
    up with water instead of any chemical (even alcohol!) giving you
    more time to work and less risk to the underlying plastic.Once the
    putty is hardened, a few passes with a fine sandpaper must suffice.
    It's something I haven't tried yet, so I'm wondering if it might
    work or not.

The answer in my experience is "maybe"

The problem with wiping it down with a fingertip, is that if I apply enough pressure to remove the excess, i also apply enough pressure to indent the putty that's supposed to be filling the indent! I end up with reduced but not eliminated lines.

Fortunately, that's what I *want* usually - to reduce rather than remove a panel line. However for filling entirely where there should be no channel, not so good.

Shane

My Strine is a Toad in Disguise

Quidvis recte factum,
quamvis humile, praeclarum