[WWI] Royal Mail paint ban petition

David N Lombard david.n.lombard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 10:07:50 EST 2014

On 01/04/2014 04:21 AM, Andy Bannister wrote:
> All,
> Those of you living in the UK are probably well aware of the ridiculous
> restrictions Royal Mail has imposed on sending paint through the post.
> As an online retailer myself this has really hit hard, and small
> businesses in particular. The vast majority of my sales was paint, this
> has pretty much come to a standstill. RM will allow nail varnish and
> aerosol cosmetics (deodorant, etc) to be sent but not model paint! The
> cynic in me can't help but think this has more to do with the cosmetics
> industry having more clout than the hobby industry. Finally someone has
> started a petition to try and change this; so far it's only for the
> restirction on acrylics but hopefully it may lead to the complete ban on
> enamels being lifted as well. For those of you who order paint online
> or, like me, used to sell it, I urge you to sign the petition:
> http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/royal-mail-lift-the-restrictions-on-shipping-water-based-paints?utm_source=supporter_message&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_message_notice
> Hope this is okay to post here. Not exactly OT, but it affects all of us
> in the hobby, regardless of where we live and the more people we can get
> to sign the better.

I wish I could help, as this does affect us all across the planet. The
US already has similar bans, so I can no longer get paint directly from
the UK (i.e., White Ensign and Zero Paints). I expect the RM was
following suit.

And yes, the cosmetics industry does have far more clout; they did
ensure they weren't impacted.

--
dnl