[WWI] French Yellow

Gabriel Limon arglim at msn.com
Tue Apr 22 15:22:59 EDT 2014

I think you need to be suspicious about using Guynemer's S VII as an example.  I saw it many years ago when it was still in the Invalides.  I have seen it since at the Musee de l'Aire et Espace.  It seems to have darkened with age, at least to me.  I also think that when it was in the Invalides it was pretty neglected for a period of time.  Let's put it this way, it sure ain't factory fresh!  I'm attaching a photo of #2, and the Nieuport 11 for a "contrast" photo.  I don't remember if the N.11 is an original or repro.  Gotta remember that aircraft factories and field mechs didn't hire interior decorators to hustle down to the nearest Lowe's or Home Depot to get the absolute exact color match.