[WWI] WAS French blue Now French CDL?

Diego Fernetti dfernet0 at rosario.gov.ar
Tue Apr 22 12:21:30 EDT 2014

Dame K don't be prickly! Springtime is in the air!
> Not to mention the colors of the indoor lights they are displayed
> under, and the white balance of the film and/or digital sensor they
> were photographed with…plus the color balance of the monitor screen
> you're looking at.
All too true. I tried to find two pictures that were more or less
matching in the photo conditions: both were shot with flash and both
are, in general terms, crappy. Anyway you can see that there is a
certain variance in them, even considering effects of photography and
storage.
> Discussions and arguments about the precise colors used, based on
> photos of extant planes, is a hopeless waste of time.
Agreed.
> If you want the colors to be 'accurate', paint it with your best
> educated guess and defy anyone to claim the 'real' color was 2%
> lighter and a tad more yellow.
The operative word is "educated" guess. I might want to paint it yolk
yellow, alas, it would be taking things a bit beyond the boundaries of
education to enter the realm of fantasy. These two airplanes have the
rare distinction of being conserved without full repainting or
reconstruction.
> BTW, I think, but I'm not sure without getting up and walking 15 feet
> to my references (which I'm too lazy to do), that both the Le Bourget
> Spad and the Smithsonian's Caudron have been restored somewhere along
> the line…
Yes, restored and cleaned up, but not repainted. And both were managed
by serious museums and probably not meddled with.
D.