[WWI] Aluminum Addition to French Paints, Was: French Yellow

Shane Weier bristolf2b at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 02:14:26 EDT 2014

Mike says

>You're also correct about adding aluminum flake to the paint on the
wings and fuselage,
>but not for the reason you think.  It was added
because the aluminum reflected light and
>thus prolonged the life of the
fabric.

I think that JR is exactly right, as are you. Opaque paint doesn't allow the light to go through. Aluminium powder does this well by reflecting light. So does lamp black (carbon) but by absorbing light. The French elected to protect their fabric from UV damage by increasing opacity using aluminium, the British did it using lamp black. Both worked.

Shane

My Strine is a Toad in Disguise

Quidvis recte factum,
quamvis humile, praeclarum