[WWI] Aluminum Addition to French Paints, Was: French Yellow

Mike Vice jmikl2957 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 22 01:46:16 EDT 2014

J.R.,

                You're correct about the color not being CDL, but I can't
help offhand with the exact Methuen reference or color to be used.  Let me
check tomorrow in my "Project Butterfly" articles.  You're also correct
about adding aluminum flake to the paint on the wings and fuselage, but not
for the reason you think.  It was added because the aluminum reflected light
and thus prolonged the life of the fabric.  Since the yellow on the
cowl/metal parts did not include aluminum, it is a slightly brighter yellow
than the fabric surfaces.

                                Mike