[WWI] French Yellow

J.R. Boye hopeandmercy at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 22 00:30:35 EDT 2014

Mr. T!

    From what I have read, the French "yellow" was not a true CDL (used on earlier French aircraft) but an actual color specified by the military. There is speculation that aluminum powder was added to this light yellow to make it more opaque.

     The metal parts were painted to closely match the yellow color, just as the later camouflage colors matched the fabric tones. On the preserved S.VII of Guynemer, the color is a light beige, but apparently there was some variation. On Victor Chapman's Nieuport, the color is described as "cream". In photos, sometimes the SPADs look darker, rather than lighter; more on the brown side.

    On my models, I make the metal portions a slightly different tint than the metal, usually lighter to indicate some weathering of the doped fabric.

                                                                      J.R. Boye