[WWI] French blue

Dave Calhoun davecww1 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 20:59:39 EDT 2014

Hi Michael,
Of course I cannot be positive since there are no original aircraft still remaining, but looking at the profiles in Nieuport fliers of the Lafayette, the profiles done by Bob Pearson all have the darker shade for rudder stripes and cockade centers, but the later type 23, 24 and 24bis with the Seminole painted on the side show two different blues, they have the dark blue rudder as painted by the factory, while the blue feathers on the Seminole insignia painted on the fuselage have the medium blue/gray color.  Just a guess if I may, the Nieuport factory used a darker blue, while SPAD and various other builders used the lighter blue/gray for their insignia?  It seems that the blue got much lighter later in the war, take for example the American Nieuport 28's, which appear to have from the factory a very light blue for the rudder and cockade centers, while field repainted US machines used a darker Flag blue.
Dave
Dave