[WWI] French blue

Gabriel Limon arglim at msn.com
Sat Apr 19 13:40:58 EDT 2014

Thanks very much for the info and links.  I don't have the Windsock, but now I have a much better idea to match the markings.  Thanks again.

From: davecww1 at gmail.com
To: wwi at wwi-models.org
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 11:29:59 -0400
Subject: Re: [WWI] French blue

Hi Gabe,
In Alan Toelle's article in Windsock Worldwide Vol 23 No 5
he shows that the blue on the rudder and center of the cockade is a darker blue
than we generally see on decal sheets.  It is almost a royal blue.
The best profiles that I have seen of these aircraft are in the books Jean
Navarre France's Sentinel of Verdun by Jim Wilberg, and also Nieuport Flyers of
the Lafayette by Jon Guttman.  Bob Pearson did the great profiles in that
book.
You can check out my model gallery for the latest Nieuport
11 that I finished last month in Victor Chapman's markings, I mixed up my own
blend of acrylics to get what looked to be the correct French blue for the
rudder and cockades.  http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Calhoun/Nieuport/index.html

Dave