[WWI] French blue

Dave Calhoun davecww1 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 11:29:59 EDT 2014

Hi Gabe,
In Alan Toelle's article in Windsock Worldwide Vol 23 No 5 he shows that the blue on the rudder and center of the cockade is a darker blue than we generally see on decal sheets.  It is almost a royal blue.  The best profiles that I have seen of these aircraft are in the books Jean Navarre France's Sentinel of Verdun by Jim Wilberg, and also Nieuport Flyers of the Lafayette by Jon Guttman.  Bob Pearson did the great profiles in that book.
You can check out my model gallery for the latest Nieuport 11 that I finished last month in Victor Chapman's markings, I mixed up my own blend of acrylics to get what looked to be the correct French blue for the rudder and cockades.  http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Calhoun/Nieuport/index.html

Dave