[WWI] Pritt's 66 Sqn Pup and His Overwing Lewis

Jim T sinbad8508 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 1 09:55:41 EDT 2014

Hi Mike-

I find the armament section beginning on page 68 in my copy. There are 66 Sq Pup w Lewis guns at p 70. The text refernces " . . .drawing of the'Lewis gun mounting for the Sopwith Scout as designed and used by 66 Squadron" sent to RFC HQ 22 Sept. That may be available from archives.

I cannot make out the mechanism on the photo on the opposite page, but there are references to the installation of the Lewis adversely affecting performace and weakening the upper wing structure; 54 Sq discontinued use for this reason.

Jim

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

Mark Twain