[WWI] can you move that bloody car?

Kerry Lynn kerlyn2001 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 30 08:26:41 EDT 2013

D.

I thought Clerget at first, which led me to the link I sent you.  If it
is, it
can only be a 7Z which output just 80hp.  That would still make this a
Nieuport 10, as the 12 originally had the 9Z (110hp).  I eventually
convinced
myself that I was looking at one pushrod and the glint of each cylinder, but
I didn't blow up the photo as I'm sure you have.

What is curious is the bulge in the cowl.  The Bristol Scout D was equipped
with 80hp Le Rhone or 100hp Gnome Monosoupape (both seven cylinder
engines) and the latter are identified by that bulge.  That's the part
of the
cycle where the exhaust valve is open.

-K-