[WWI] Friedrichshafen FF 43 question

Carlos Carreira cacarr1960 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 19:36:19 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I am gathering information about the FF 43 to add some detail to the
(surprisingly very nice!) Airframe kit. Main sources are the Harleyford
book of marine aircraft (from where the scale drawings that come with the
kit were taken) and the more recent book by Jack Herris "German Seaplane
Fighters of WWI". I don't think we will ever see a Datafile of this one-off.

I don't understand the "inverted V strut(?)" that comes out of the fuselage
at the starboard side of the pilot. It is probably related with something
above the wing, but what?

Here are some pics taken after a Google search:

http://flyingmachines.ru/Images7/Putnam/German/373-1.jpg
http://airspot.ru/catalogue_image/filename/2227/thumb/ff43-i.jpg
http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/fww1/ff43/ff43-2.jpg
http://crimso.msk.ru/Images6/MM/MM-138/1012-66-2-1.jpg

Attached are fragments of photos from Jack Herris book, where the thing can
be seen in more detail.

In the center section of the wing is a flat radiator and what seems to be
an oil tank. The Spandaus are located in each side of the engine. What can
it be?

Thanks in advance!

Carlos