[WWI] Ford T Ambulance

Dave Calhoun davecww1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 14:01:45 EDT 2013

Thanks diego, that was me looking for the ambulance photos.  the one you attached is one that I have already located and shows to good detail the front and boxes built up around the drivers seat.
I have started working on the Academy 1/16 scale 1912 Model T Ford kit to build one similar to this, although not in such a state of disrepair.  A couple of problems and solutions for anyone else planning on such a conversion:
1.  The Academy kit has right hand drive, so the steering wheel and foot pedals are all in the wrong location for US and French machines.  I was able to convert the bottom of the engine by cutting off the steering gear, sectioning it and adding it to the other side.  then I had to fill in the hole in the engine left by cutting this part off.  I also had to cover the hole in the floor on the passengers side with sheet styrene, and cut out the hole for the steering shaft to go in the left side floor.  A new floor board was made from styrene, and I drilled the holes for the foot pedals and steering column in the reverse location as the kit piece had.
2.  the Academy kit has knobby vinyl or rubber tires, although every photo I have seen of these trucks has smooth white or light gray tires.  Does anyone know of a source to get smooth tires?  I'm wondering if some flying model aircraft tires may be the correct size for these, I will have to do further research.  I may have to make a resin casting of the kit tire, then sand it smooth and cast 6 copies, since there are the four on the wheels and also the two mounted on the top as spares.

the good news is that the kit wheelbase scales out to 100" which is correct for the version that I am modeling.  One of the drawings that Karen had furnished had a 123" wheelbase, but I found out that that was the Model TT and not the frame used for the ambulances.
Dave Calhoun