[WWI] Sopwith Camel Questions

Mike Vice jmikl2957 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 21 14:28:03 EDT 2013

                OK, all you Camel experts, I've got a couple of questions
for you!  They're in reference to Eduard's 1/48 Kit #8055, the non-profi
Sopwith F.1 Camel (RNAS).

                One of the markings options is for a machine, B7202,
delivered to 9N on 23 Jan 1918 and flown by the squadron for about two weeks
before it was transferred to 10N on 4 Feb 1918.  Instead of roundels on the
fuselage sides it's got these lovely blue-edged-in-grey-and-white sloping
and circular fuselage band markings, plus a white center section with two
blue horizontal stripes.

                But now to the questions about the kit, which offers two
upper forward fuselage pieces, C2 and C7.  As you might expect, the kit
instructions merely suggest "choose one."  (!)  They are rather different
from one another.  What I'll call the "open" option, C7, is a piece with
leather only partially surrounding the pilot and the space ahead being more
open to the guns.  The "closed" option has kind of a circle look, with
leather totally surrounding the pilot.  Looking at the GA drawings in The
Camel File (Sheet 1, p. 254 ff.) it looks like part C2, the "closed" piece,
belongs to the prototype Camel and subsequent 130hp Clerget machines.  The
"open" option, C7, appears to be for late production machines (140 hp
Clergets); the appropriate drawing looks to be Sheet 8 of the GAs.  For
BR.1-powered machines it looks like the "closed" option applies (GA Sheet 9)
but I'm not sure.

                B7202 was a BR.1-powered Clayton and Shuttleworth product
that wasn't delivered until the Camel was fairly prevalent in British
squadrons but was certainly delivered before the long-stroke 140hp Clergets
came into squadron use.  So what's your suggestion, use C2 "closed" or C7
"open"?  I suspect the answer is "closed."

                Next question: there are two sets of wheels/tyres in the kit
but they look pretty much the same.  Which should I use?

                And lastly, as noted, B7202 was BR.1-powered.  I'm pretty
sure the engine in the kit is a Clerget.  Correct?  Or not?  If it's a
Clerget, is there an Eduard kit that includes a BR.1 that I can switch with
the engine in the kit?  If not, does anyone have a suggestion for finding a
1/48 BR.1 that I can put into the kit?

                Per usual, TIA.

                                Mike