[WWI] Paint lids: was Re: Tool trolley?

Dave Calhoun davecww1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 08:39:00 EDT 2013

Sounds like you both have good ideas. How about getting a white round label (.5" for Humbrol and similar tins and small Testors bottles and 1" diameter for Model master, Misterkit and other larger bottles.)  Write the color name with a fine point sharpie across the middle and lower half if it is a long name, and put a toothpick full of color on the upper part of the label.  Then you will be able to quickly identify certain color ranges, and read the description if you need to tell if that brownish color is French chestnut or French chestnut w/ aluminum powder.  Works especially good for custom mixes.  This is just an idea, I have not yet tried it, I usualy just put a dab of paint on top of the bottle but have noticed that I have a lot of olive green looking bottles and it always takes me ten minutes to find the correct color when sorting between USMC green, field drab, olive drab, artillery olive, dark green (French) Dark green (German) etc.
Dave C