[WWI] Looking for info on early Model T Ambulances

J.R. Boye hopeandmercy at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 4 10:59:54 EDT 2013

 Hi Dave!

      Here is the link Stephen Cox was mentioning:

             http://www.mtfca.com/books/ford_times.htm

      I got much of the information for my model from a book published in 1916 called "Friends of France, The Field Service of the American Ambulance, Described by its Members". There a number great photos in this volume, one of which I used to base my model upon.

      If you can't find I copy of this book (I bought mine at a used book sale at my school when I was 13), let me know and I am sure we can work something out.
      Color information was pretty scarce on these vehicles. The Ford times "color" pictures along with reference by a driver's account of the "grey canvas" led me to an overall grey scheme:

         http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/BoyeJ/Armour/index.html

     Another thing to remember is that each ambulance body was built by hand from the chassis shipping crate, and there is a great variety of detail differences between each vehicle. Later vehicles had more refinements.
      I'm not sure when the bodies became factory-built and standardised with full-height sides, but it seems like this wasn't until 1917. Before that, all ambulances seem to have low-sided bodies and full canvas covers.

                                                                              J.R. Boye