[WWI] HMAS Australia on hold

marc flake marcflake at att.net
Sun Jul 8 18:41:31 EDT 2012

I've reached a stopping point on my build of the Combrig HMAS Australia.  I haven't yet received the replacement fore funnel from Combrig and am ready to begin painting.  After putting on the funnel grates on the two funnels I do have, I attached all the small parts and sub-assemblies onto Popsicle sticks with double sided tape.  The hull was attached to a block of wood with the same tape.

Some of the small parts came in two parts -- namely the four-inch guns and the pedestal-mounted binoculars.  I adopted two different tactics in mounting these parts for painting.  Hopefully, the binoculars will not separate from their pedestals when I remove them from their resin block.  They were just too tiny to mount on the double sided tape like I did the guns.

The next step is gray Krylon enamel primer, which I will apply as soon as I get my replacement funnel.  In the meantime, I'll be working on my next ship project -- HMS Warspite in 1916, using the Trumpeter Queen Elizabeth 1918.

Marc Flake