[WWI] Konig threads?

Shane Weier bristolf2b at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 31 20:34:57 EDT 2011

Michael says

>Weier started one back in 2000. Have you finished it yet, Shane?

I did, and I haven't.

As reported here some years ago, I made an unholy mess of it, and am ashamed to say that I've not been able to complete it, nor even get past the mess made by being too eager to remove a bad paint job.

Doubly ashamed because it was given to me in good faith to do a review which has never been delivered. As a consequence I've forgone any further formal reviewing, even of kits I bought myself. It's not nice to let down friends.

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

That said, my recollection of the build *before* I screwed up, is of a nicely fitting kit with exactly the same pitfall that catches folk building Roden kits - it is *crucial* to test fit carefully and remove the thick flash that sometimes appears as part of a piece. On Roden Albatrosses, watch the cowl cutout, on Konig IIRC the position of one of the decks - main or forecastle - was bad until I'd routed out excess plastic from the bow or stern of the hull sides to let it drop in properly.

*Don't* go all 20th century and add blast bags to the main battery, like I did (and then had to remove, damaging paintwork and leading to my mishap)   :-(

Do clean the plastic remorselessly. Scrub the hell out of it, and if using etched brass, prime the plastic first. It takes solvent glues well, but CyA attached parts slid off if you looked at them too hard. (assuming that later shots use the same slightly rubbery soft styrene - this may not still be a problem)

FWIW

Shane

My Strine is a Toad in Disguise

Quidvis recte factum,