[WWI] WWI List Re: Hyperscale W29 build - strange lozenge

Karen Rychlewski krychski at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 30 12:39:48 EDT 2011

On Jul 30, 2011, at 1:10 AM, Shane Weier wrote:

> Karen says
>
> >Brent, as an aside, I believe it *would* be possible to print that skewed pattern from a roller--a pattern need not be perpendicular to the width of the roller...otherwise how could diagonal stripes (like a barber's pole) be printed?
>
> I believe that the entire point of *my* post was also that the pattern can't reasonably be roller printed.
>
> Think a little about a barbers pole pattern. Do the stripes *ever* have to meet up again? Answer is of course *NO* because they go around in a spiral, and the printing roller is made exactly as a barbers pole is painted.

OK, Shane. Again, this is more easily seen than described.

Print out the diagram below
Cut on the red lines
Curve the paper around so the two slanted red edges meet--do not overlap
Voila!  A cylinder

Admittedly, the hexes in my diagram are not absolutely exact, but it doesn't really matter--and of course the pattern would be on *three* separate cylindrical rollers because of the three colors, but that's just a matter of adjusting the distance between the three rollers...certainly less complicated than printing the standard 5 color lozenge.

I think this horse is very nearly dead, eh?

Karen