[WWI] New Model

Matt Bittner matt.bittner at cox.net
Sat Jul 30 08:58:05 EDT 2011

Going completely off topic now, so those not interested in non-WW1
types, 1/144 scale or 3D print might want to delete.

I have two 1/144 Yak-38s from Small Scale Shop (whom uses Shapeways to
print). One is printed in "White Detail", the other in "Black Strong and
Flexible". The white you can see the striations from the printer, but
with a little bit of sanding I've been able to get rid of most of them.

The black, though, is extremely "pebbly". I've read a coat of Future
smooths most of it out, but I haven't tried it yet.

I'm waiting for a re-print of the white since it wasn't completely
printed (most of the landing gear are missing). Once I have that in hand
(it's "on its way") I will compare the white and black.

However, I've seen close-up photos of "Find Ultra Detail" and it looks
like an injected kit. Or, at the very "worst", a resin kit. I'm
contemplating picking up this Yak-38 in FUD, but the show owner doesn't
have the "new CAD" available in FUD yet (he decided to separate the
landing gear into separate "parts" because of the problems I had with
the white I received).

Yes, when it comes to wargaming the white - and even black - is "good
enough". For "true" modeling, the FUD is where it's at - at least what I
can tell in photos.

Matt