[WWI] WWI List Re: Hyperscale W29 build - strange lozenge

Karen Rychlewski krychski at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 29 23:24:47 EDT 2011

Rob & Bob

DSA made a big point of describing how carefully he aligned and secured the sample so that the warp and weft were perpendicular to each other...and then saw that the pattern was printed at that 5 degree angle.

I'm just reporting on this since someone mentioned the 5 degree tilt. Personally, I agree with Shane and others that printing the hexes leaning lazily to the right serves no reasonable purpose and the whole idea seems to be disproven by photos showing the hex 'flats' aligned with the wing's leading edge. I'm sorry I can't post DSA's whole article because of copyright laws, but if you can dig up a copy of WWIAero, Nov '91, you'll find the whole thing there.

Brent, as an aside, I believe it *would* be possible to print that skewed pattern from a roller--a pattern need not be perpendicular to the width of the roller...otherwise how could diagonal stripes (like a barber's pole) be printed? But Shane's question still stands: Why??

Karen

Sent from my iPad watching the Cubs lose again: 9-2...oh woe