[WWI] WWI List Re: Hyperscale W29 build - strange lozenge

Michael Kendix mkendix at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 29 19:38:45 EDT 2011

So, Shane, basically, what you're saying is, this is all bollocks?

What if it was, like, 7 degree?

From: bristolf2b at hotmail.com
To: wwi at wwi-models.org
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 08:59:32 +1000
Subject: Re: [WWI] WWI List Re:  Hyperscale W29 build - strange lozenge

Karen says

>AFAIK, everyone agrees that the wing surfaces were covered chordwise
with lengths of the fabric.
> If this is true (and it seems to be by my
reading of all the blurry photos), then printing the hexes
> tilted like
the above would definitely NOT be the same as laying each strip of
fabric (or decal) on
>the wing at a 5 degree angle.

Fairly clearly, *I* haven't been paying attention at all, because this 5 degree nonsense is entirely new to me.

These patterns were roller printed, were they not? Continuous lengths of fabric run through multiple drum rollers to apply the patterns?

So show me how a continuous hexagonal pattern can be drawn on the printing surface of a drum and meet without a "jump" in the pattern that would ruin a section once per rotation unless the drum was *large*? Then explain why you'd do something so utterly stupid and unneccessary when the pattern would repeat perfectly on a much more conveniently sized drum if it were aligned with no offset.

When these types of daft theories appear I first wonder *why* the supposed perpetrators would go to extra trouble to make things difficult for themselves. So, why?

Shane, tE, list grouch and unreformed cynic

My Strine is a Toad in Disguise

Quidvis recte factum,
quamvis humile, praeclarum