[WWI] FE2b

Crawford Neil Neil.Crawford at volvo.com
Thu Jul 21 04:40:04 EDT 2011

I've built several resin kits, so I'm not averse to them, but I do think they have
some tricky aspects. They require some skill to do a decent job, and aren't quick
builds, not that a Fe2 would be a quickie. Also I don't fancy the banana wing syndrome,
and I think an Fe2 with fairly long thin wings could be susceptible to warping.
Not something I'd like to risk. I don't know why I keep asking for injection-moulded
kits really, as I rarely build them anyway, most of my recent models have been resin
or scratchbuilt, but there is something special about good kits, I can't resist
buying them for my collection, I like gloating on them, and dreaming how I can build them
very quickly, then reality returns, and I get back to the scratchbuilding grind.
Perhaps I've flipped?
Anyway, I've owned the Planet Spad XI, after I'd scratchbuilt one, but I wasn't impressed
, it's not resin, it's actually injected plastic (short-run) and quite rough.
The decals were nice. That's another of my foibles, when I dream about kits, I want
them to be state of the art, and really good, otherwise I may as well get a resin kit or
a vac. It's quick satisfaction I'm looking for!
/Neil