[WWI] Who Inspired You?

Nicklas, Brian NicklasB at si.edu
Wed Jul 20 16:41:58 EDT 2011

I recall that my first model was a Revell Mercury-Redstone, likely a birthday present from my Dad.
I progressed to a few Lindberg kits, and recall a 262 that had no canopy which I still recall that I thought was a crock as a jet had to have a canopy.
Then as I acquired money by collecting soda bottles and a new Kresge (or was it an SH Kress?) store opened with a model rack, I bought Eldon "Match Kit" biplanes which I believe were knock-offs of Revell kits.  (I Went through a bunch of Albatros, Fokkers, Spad and Nieuports...)
Eventually I picked up a few MPC releases of Airfix kits with garish decals - but always used the lozenge instead.
My Dad supervised construction at times, and my older brother provided guidance in teaching me counter-terror by way of sabotaging my model efforts.
My younger brothers provided a need for new models by "flying" my models when I wasn't home.
We moved from one side of town to the other and I then I was buying models from the rack at the local Peoples Drug (now CVS).
In the mid 70s I found about the local Squadron Shop, and the manager warned me that the IPMS guys were jerks.
I guess it was his humor - because the IPMS guys did demos on Saturday mornings, and there I met the late Mike Lyons and a few of the other guys who are still in the chapter.
After talking with them and going to a few meetings, I joined IPMS-USA (#6852) and met even more great guys including those with a WWI bent.
(Yes, I've met a few south-facing ends of a north-bound horse as well...)

-          Brian