[WWI] What Inspired You, and Pointy Propellorless Things

Mike Vice jmikl2957 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 20 13:16:00 EDT 2011

                Paul's comment brought to mind an incident long ago at an
IPMS meeting in San Francisco.  The genesis is a vacation to London taken
with friends.  Paul and Linda's eight-year-old son and I went to the RAF
Museum, where Alex fell in love with the British Tornado
waster-of-good-alcohol.  When we came back to the states I decided I'd leave
off Great War building for just an instant and bought a Tornado to build for
him, painted it up, etc., etc.  The night I was taking Alex's gift to him
was also a meeting night so I took the Tornado to Show-and-Tell.  When I
pulled the thing out of a box everyone gasped.  "You built something other
than a biplane?!"  I explained my sin briefly, then launched into the spiel.
A couple of sentences in I gasped, slapped my forehead and exclaimed,
"Omigod, I left off a piece!"  (Pause for members' curiosity...)  I then
reached into my pocket and pulled out a three-bladed prop and slid it onto
the nose.  "NOW it can fly!" says I.

                                Mike