[WWI] Who Inspired You?

Diego Fernetti dfernet0 at rosario.gov.ar
Wed Jul 20 09:01:23 EDT 2011

Tom!
> Who were/are your modeling mentors?

When I was given my first model kit (a bagged lilac Airfix Albatros D.V) it
was after my cousin was making his first models. He was an inspiration to
me, although we always struck a sort of competition amongst us, and can't
possibly be called a "mentor" in the sense of a true helper. In that
respect, it was my dad who boosted my interest on "making things" and even
when never before had built a plastic model kit, he soon got the knack of it
and can say that he was a very competent modeller but he only did things to
teach me how to do it by myself or to save me from the frustration of
certain difficult tasks. For this, I'm very grateful to him. After I was
capable enough of cutting parts without slicing my throat and painting
without getting Humbrol enamel in my eyeballs, he left me by my own means
but always encouraged me to keep modelling and praised me on every model I
made, and what was very important, pointing me certain flaws that I could
have done better. At the time, I resented a little this critique, but I
reckon now that that was the best of all, because he cared to see what I
could do better and taught me never to be dazzled by my own work. In fact he
did the same about my drawings. Even on his last years, I never finished any
model or art work without a final consultation about the result with him.
Fathers are often unselfish critics and that's something priceless.
As many others, I had a non-modelling years, but when I started again (at
25, more or less) I had made my mind about making WW1 or biplane aircraft.
However, in this land of sauvages there was no one in sight who knew about
these ancient machines and could guide me. Early on, through a mutual friend
I met Néstor Santoro, a modeller who liked the same aircraft than I do and
soon we were great friends. He lent me a few books with accurate plans and
gave me a lot of photocopies of references that were my first of my
collection. It was weird, but Néstor and I had about the same age, shared
many common friends and acquaintances, and most of our tastes in models,
airplanes, history, dinosaurs, films, music and girls, but it took us 25
years to find we shared all of that! We see each other frequently (in fact
later today we'll have a cup of coffee) and I was -God forgives me- his best
man at his wedding. His wife was in fact a girl who was a friend of mine
too, but he found her by himself... Small world! The bastard now has steered
off static modelling and builds OT R/C aircraft from scratch. His latest
works are an Albatros D.II and a Fokker D.VIII. Daydreams about building a
1:1 scale replica of an Albatros D.V.
And last of all, but no less important, was me finding out about this
modelling list, who was a great inspiration!
D.