[WWI] Who Inspired You?

tom.mason at charter.net tom.mason at charter.net
Wed Jul 20 08:49:41 EDT 2011

The inspiration for me to start building models was that I thought
airplanes were cool. I am 65 soon to be 66 and I started when I was
eight. In them early years there was no such thing as modeling tools or
even flat paint and especially no reference material, you did what was
on the box art or in the instructions. I started e out with Aurora,
Lindburg, Hawk and etc.. And then in the 60's came 1/72 with Revell,
Airfix, Frog, etc.. My interest in WWI aircraft came about from my
reading the book "The Red Knight of Germany" by Floyd Gibbons and from
then on I was hooked. Those of you who have been around as long as me
will remember the lean years when no new WWI models were coming out and
then vacu-formed kits kind of got the ball rolling again.
In my teen years my interest changed to cars, hey it was the late 1950's
early 1960's and boys in the USA were car nuts.
Now days my interest is mainly WWI aircraft then WWII aircraft and armor
and then an interest in most anything ships, cars, space, science
fiction, figures, anything that strikes my fancy. I have about 2,000
unbuilt kits to prove it.
I have a combined interest in modeling, history and wargaming.

T.O.M.