[WWI] Who Inspired You?

J.R. Boye hopeandmercy at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 19 18:07:38 EDT 2011

   Jamie and Bud : nice comeback stories! Those in themselves are inspiring to me.

                                J.R. Boye

From: jamesgagnon5 at sympatico.ca
To: wwi at wwi-models.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 18:04:38 -0400
Subject: Re: [WWI] Who Inspired You?

Hi Tom and other folk;

My Dad got me started. He bought me a Revell
SeeAdler (OT ship) and Lancaster bomber when I was 10(1964). His idea was to
build them with me. That was the way things went with the ship, but I was
seriously hooked. I got everything from the library about models, talked to
everybody I could find who had ever built anything and by the time we got
started on the Lancaster, I knew more about modelbuilding than my Dad would ever
care to know. The family continued to buy me models for the next couple of
years, but after that I spent every penny I got on kits, tools and references. I
built just about anything during this period.

I started a modelbuilding club in high school and
was looking into creating an IPMS chapter, but the lack of commitment by the
other club members eventually caused me to give up.

In 1982, because of economic circumstances I
dropped out of the hobby and sold off everything I owned. About ten years later
I started dabbling again, and about the same time Dad got interested in building
wooden ships, so I was able to help him with some things. Over the last ten
years I have been escalating to the point that I am now building a couple of
models a month. I went on a determined campaign to buy enough kits, tools
etc. to tide me through retirement which is less than ten years away. I
build primarily 1/48 WWI and WWII aircraft but dabble a bit in modern armour and
the occasional sailing ship.

Jamie