[WWI] Who Inspired You?

Thomas Young maiesm72 at att.net
Tue Jul 19 17:09:53 EDT 2011

While waiting for my coal-fired laptop to print out a couple of items I was thinking about who got me interested in building scale models.

First would be my dad, Allyn. He built all of the Gowland & Gowland (later Revell) old-timer cars and proudly displayed them on the fireplace mantle. We were at the Walt Disney Family Museum on Sunday to check out a couple of new exhibits. One was a display of the same cars that my dad had built, but these were built by Walt.

Next would be IPMS. Our chapter, which I joined about 1967 or so, was very active, with many well-known names, fifty or so members and a newsletter for which I eventually served as Editor.

My mentors were George Lee and Dave "Bo" Boksanski. Each approached modeling from a different angle. George only scratch built, never using a kit. Bo could look at a kit part and see many uses for it other than in the kit itself. Both were fascinating characters in their own rights. Unfortunately they are long gone and very missed.

After a couple of years I was treated to the work of John Alcorn and John Boes. I still see John Al corn's work at shows and John Boes remains a good friend and fellow IPMS Santa Rosa member.

Who were/are your modeling mentors?

Tom