[WWI] Nieuports

Douglas Anderson djandersonza at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 15:12:18 EDT 2011

>From Wikipedia
Nieuport 16

In 1916 an improved version appeared as the Nieuport 16 which was a Nieuport
11 airframe powered by the 110 hp (92 kW) Le Rhône
9J<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Rh%C3%B4ne_9J>rotary engine
[2] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nieuport_11#cite_note-great-1>. Visible
differences included a larger aperture in front of the "horse shoe" cowling
and, at least in some cases, a pilot headrest
fairing[4]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nieuport_11#cite_note-weapons-3>.
Later versions had a deck-mounted synchronized Vickers gun, but in this
configuration the combined effect of the heavier 9J engine and the heavier
Vickers gun compromised
maneuverability[4]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nieuport_11#cite_note-weapons-3>and
made the craft decidedly nose-heavy. The next variant, the slightly
larger *Nieuport 17 C1*, was designed from the outset for the heavier
engine, and remedied the 16's
c.g.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass>problems, as well as
providing an improved performance.
[5] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nieuport_11#cite_note-Cheesman-4>.
Wikipedia has some good pics of the engines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Rh%C3%B4ne_9J
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnome_Lambda

>From our own site
http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Engines/LeRhone/index.html