[WWI] Arizona Model Aircrafters Flyboys Fokker Dr.1 - Questions

Bob Pearson bpearson at citytel.net
Fri Jul 15 22:42:29 EDT 2011

Bob,

Here are two of MvR's Dr.Is

Bob
www.cbrnp.com/RNP/CDv2/index.htm
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Robert Randall
  To: wwi at wwi-models.org
  Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 7:11 PM
  Subject: [WWI] Arizona Model Aircrafters Flyboys Fokker Dr.1 - Questions

  I performed a kit inventory upon receipt and found a sheet of balsa badly mangled on one end. I will need to buy another sheet of balsa to create several damaged ribs. I also noticed that the 'real' aluminum engine cowl included in the kit will require extensive cutting wherein lies one of my questions. What is the easiest way to add what appear to be rivets to an aluminum cowl? I don't own a drill-press and hope there is an easier way to create the appearance of rivets.

  Next question is that after spending a lot of money for this kit I want to create an accurate model of M. Von Richthofen's aircraft. Does anyone know if Richthofen's aircraft(s) was all red or red & white. I believe the Dr. 1 he died in was not the all red aircraft. Another question on this topic concerns what would be the best covering material for the model. I was thinking about using Fokker Red Monokote (if there is such a color). Does anyone have any suggestions?

  The rotary engine included with the model is a Le Rhone Rotary by Williams Brothers Model Products. What does everyone recommend for a scale wooden prop for this model as far as size and pitch? This will be a static model when completed but again I would like to try to build for accuracy if possible.

  Next is anyone aware of Fokker Dr. 1 decals in 1/8 scale? Does anyone know if there are any cockpit instrument gauges in 1/8 scale or will I need to scratch build?

  I could think of no better group to ask for assistance than this group. You folks are one of the reasons I decided to build a large scale model of what I believe was one of the most interesting aircraft of many from the WW1 era.

  Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks - Bob