[WWI] Which CDL ?

Dave Calhoun davecww1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 18:18:50 EDT 2011

Hi Gregory,
I think that Alberto has it right, but I found some more information in the book Italian Aces of World War I and their aircraft by Gentilli, Iozzi and Varriale.  They have various profiles of the Nieuport 11 and they show some as white (perhaps a bleached linen) for the French built ones and the first production run by Macchi.  For the second and third, they have a darker upper surface and a ivory cdl undersurface.  so per their information these two production runs had 2 colors, the upper and lower were two different colors.  and they show the tapes outlining the wings as a dark brown but this is not confirmed.  let me know what markings are in the kit and I may be able to find profiles in the book to se if it should be the early or later scheme.
Dave C

Message: 1