[WWI] Which CDL ?

Steven Perry sperry11 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jul 12 13:29:05 EDT 2011

On 7/12/2011 1:13 PM, gajspads at comcast.net wrote:
> Hello All,
> I've just received my latest Co-Op order today. The kit is the A-Model
> Nieuport 11 (Italy) in 1/32 scale.The kit represents A Macchi build
> example of the Nieuport 11. While checking the contents of the  box
> and reading through the instructions and paint guide I noticed that
> the Ni.11 is petty much overall CDL.The problem is which CDL should be
> used.My information indicates that there were two shades of Italian
> CDL a light and dark shade. Which of the two would be correct? Thanks
> in advance for any information concerning this matter. I appreciate it
> Guys.
> Regards,
> Gregory Jouette

Just hazarding a guess, but I bet the shade of CDL depends on whether it
was French built or Macchi built. As to which shade goes with which, I
have no idea. Baring someone more knowledgeable than I chiming in, you
might look for photos of known French and Macchi built machines and see
if there appears to be a noticeable difference of CDL shade. My
references are packed away so I can't say for sure.

hth
sp