[WWI] Halb. Cl.II Fuselage Colors

nick hamer hamerthehorrible at live.co.uk
Sun Jul 3 11:18:22 EDT 2011

Hi, Mike,        I reckon there is no definitive set of colours for either the rough lozenge camo or the stippled/sprayed covering over that lozenge. There are many examples of the CL.II in the gallery and they all are slightly different in colouring, but most seem to agree on the random lozenges with soft edges with a uniform scumble of blue/green over the top. The original ministry of munitions report on the Halberstadt scumbling is pretty vague in itself- ''cloudy yellow, dark and light greens,brown, purple and a light blue''. I do think as a purely personal opinion that you are right to handpaint or soft edged spray the camo colours and then stipple/spray the dark blue over the top. I feel that the photographs of some of the frontline Halberstadt CL.II's in the Datafile suggest that the scumbled top colour was applied with a spray gun with a course spatter as the 'flecks' of paint just look to uniform in density for a rag or stippled brush. I do look forward to seeing your interpretation of this interesting colour scheme. As for the exact shades of the colours- Good luck! I'd love to hear how the Mirage kit builds up, having only built the B.M. kit, which I thought was a great build. Maybe the Book 'Schlachtflieger' would be a great help, sadly, I don't have a copy (yet!).                                                                                                  Cheers,                                                                                        Nick.