[WWI] The new Unofficial Wingnut Wings Forum

Andy Bannister a.bann at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 30 13:27:44 EDT 2011

Hmmm.... maybe I'm not properly explaining my gripe! Forget Wingnut
Wings, take them out of the mix - it has absolutely nothing to do with
them! I am all in favour of WNW. They're fantastic kits, and they're
bringing the joys of building early aircraft to the masses; even those
that previously wouldn't give a second look to anything that didn't fall
together for them, ala Tamiya et al. I totally agree, we have gained
enormously from WNW and long may they continue.

What I have a problem with is yet another forum that I don't see adding
anything to the mix that we already have. Indeed, if anything, I think
there are already way too many forums that are full of 'experts' sitting
about waiting to impart their wisdom upon the unsuspecting. A WNW forum
therefore will not be for true afficionados of the WWI era, like we have
here, it will instead be for those who have jumped on the WNW bandwagon
and by way of their 'wisdom' will have more of a negative effect on the
hobby. The same could be said for any era of course, not just WWI. Have
a look at the sudden influx of Great War aircraft on ARC & Hyperscale
for instance. There have been some very good ones, but there have been
some pretty appalling ones too, built by people who have little
understanding, and little real interest in WWI aircraft. And because
you're not allowed to offer constructive criticism on these sites, only
the warmest and fuzziest of comments no matter how awful the build is, I
think these 'bandwagon jumpers' are doing more harm than good, all
condoned by these forums.

I have seen some very good and well meant constructive crticism that was
soundly thrashed by other members for being 'negative', very much like a
school playground environment. I guess what I'm trying to say is that
anyone who suddenly develops a passion for WWI because of a manufacturer
like WNW (or Aeroclub, or Eduard, Czech Master, etc., etc.) runs the
risk of having their head filled with innaccurate rubbish, or worse,
being turned off completely by these forums that spring up at the drop
of a hat. A forum that only has positive comments is of no use to anyone
- how are we to learn and better our skills if no one is allowed to
point out the mistakes??

Perhaps I'm being harsh, but I think if you truly have an interest in
WWI aviation then you don't need a forum dedicated to one particular
manufacturer, no matter how good they are or how much they have
contributed. There are plenty of websites devoted to WWI and these
contribute more to the hobby than any of these 'flavour of the month'
forums do.

As you quite rightly say, I don't have to join these forums, and after
suffering several frustrating experiences on them I mostly likely will
not join another one. The danger is, in my opinion, that all these
forums will ultimately have a negative impact on the hobby, rather than
a positive one and will do more to turn people off WWI modelling than
they will to encourage them. If people spent less time imparting their
wisdom on forums and more time actually building then we might actually
get somewhere!

Taking my own advice, I'm off to the workbench to pick up the Roden
Sopwith Triplane build I started a few months ago....

Cheers,
Andy