[WWI] The risks of books on airplanes

Buz Pezold pezo8481 at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 29 23:59:41 EDT 2011

Ernie,

     I don't disagree with you.

Buz
  -----Original Message-----
  From: wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org [mailto:wwi-bounces at wwi-models.org]On
Behalf Of ernest thomas
  Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 11:52 PM
  To: THE List!
  Subject: Re: [WWI] The risks of books on airplanes

--
  From: pezo8481 at bellsouth.net

       Being a member of several on-line aviation modeling groups isn't a
"qualifier".  I'm not saying that Vance Gilbert was not hassled.  I'm just
saying that I believe there is more to the story than he posted.

  Of course, there's always another side to every story.
  But that doesn't automatically mean the other side invalidates the first.
  I've experienced, first hand, idiotic behavior and policies in air
transport security way before 9-11, and heard worse from a friend who flys
airliners.
  So much so that I'm inclined to take Vance Gilbert's, who I don't know
from Adam, account at face value.

  As for the issue of airline personel destroying our models, I'm not sure
what to say about that. Could it be that no one has bothered to consult a
lawyer over a broken model?
  Think about it.
  If a passenger was transporting.... a piccolo, or a violin,  priceless or
not, and the flight attendants destroyed it by storing it improperly when
there's no legitimate reason the passenger couldn't have held it in his
hands on his lap, then the airline should have to pay replacement cost.
Right?
  And if it was a Stradivarius or some such instrument, then it would be a
slam dunk case. No one would expect the owner of that instrument to hand it
over to a flight attendant to be stored in the cargo compartment, or
anywhere else out of his or her sight. Even supposing a violin case wouldn't
fit in the overhead, a violin weighs almost nothing. Out of the case, it
would present no legitimate safety issue held on a passenger's lap. They
don't make you stow the book you're reading during take off, right? If
you've never held a violin in your hands, trust me; a hard cover edition of
any of the Harry Potter books flying through the cabin during turbulence is
more dangerous than a violin, or even a viola. A piccolo? Eh.. maybe. It's
metal. But the odds of that flying through the cabin are as good as the odds
for the book.
  So if you couldn't legitimately be asked to hand over a priceless violin,
or stow the book you're reading during take off, then why should you be
asked to hand over your model airplane? And why should the airline be exempt
from damages if they destroy it?
  And if security wants to disassemble your model to see what kind of
explosive all those weird, photo-etched parts that showed up in the xray are
attached to, I think you should have the option of saying, "No thanks, I'll
walk", and get a refund for your ticket.
  War on terror or not, we shouldn't be subjected to having our ever so
plainly harmless personal possessions destroyed, without even due process
for compensation.

  Naglo.

  E.