[WWI] Army & RFC connection

Andy Bannister a.bann at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 23 20:12:27 EDT 2011

D.
I don't (yet!) know what he did after he left the military, but I have a
copy of his enlistment papers and it states "labourer" as an occupation
so that's not much help. So far I have a fairly clear picture of his
early years, but can't find a clue as to what he did during and after
the war, or how he ended up connected to the air service in some way,
other than that picture and some vague recollections from my mum.

Your friend's story and that of my grandmother burning pictures makes me
wonder how many valuable historical objects have been lost forever by
unknowing or uncaring relatives. Just imagine, if only Voss' great
grand-niece hadn't burnt that colour photo of his triplane or thrown out
that crumpled chunk of sheet metal with a face painted on it...! ;-P

Thanks all for your help with this - some good leads to follow up.

Andy