[WWI] Stripping enamel paint from resin.

Aidrian Bridgeman-Sutton smokeandsteam at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 15:38:35 EDT 2011

Different resins react differently to different products so you need to be careful here. ELO and similar brews can attack some resins, and caustic soda based based cleaners can upset epoxy resins

If you used acrylics try 99% rubbing alcohol (isopropyl)- used a  rag or paper towel soaked in the alcohol, dunk the piece very briefly and wipe repeatedly rather than soaking the piece.

If it's enamel paint Mr Muscle or another oven cleaner with a caustic soda base does a good job on the paint, but do please test on a scrap piece of resin before hand.

Another way is to use an air eraser or the Badger abrasive blaster with baking soda as the abrasive(in a booth please so you don't breathe the stuff in). This needs time and care to remove the paint without stuffing up the details

Aidrian