[WWI] Albatros C.III 766/16 Bohme/Lademacher

Diego Fernetti dfernet0 at rosario.gov.ar
Wed Aug 3 11:53:55 EDT 2011

Jim!
Let's start from a grim truth: no one can say with 100% accuracy what colour was anything from a black and white image.
However, take into account two known facts: A) Black and white were widely available at field aerodromes and perhaps "camouflage" green too, but this paint looked dark gray in contemporary pictures (orthochromatic or not). B) The dragodiles in the pictures were in some color almost -if not the exact same- hue than the white squares where the black crosses were painted.
I could dare to add: C) White markings on wooden fuselages can be picked from any distance out more easily than green or other colours, so logically, a big, bad white dragon can be seen from far away, as personal markings seem to be intended for easy recognition in quick glances and from the longest distance possible.
My theory (and this theory is mine) is that the dragodiles were white with black outlines.
Bohme might not have seen the need to describe in detail the dragodiles to his girlfriend: ..."you know, cutie dear, I now have my little airplane decorated with the cutest creatures ever! And I painted them in your favourite Methuen code! Smoochie smoochie!! I desperately crave for one of your special" ... I won't keep quoting as the rest of the letter was irrelevant about the aircraft markings.
D.