[WWI] Albatros C.III 766/16 Bohme/Lademacher

Jim T sinbad8508 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 3 11:14:57 EDT 2011

I have three photos of this well known Albatros. I also have the Datafile that emphatically describes the "Dragodiles" as being rendered in black and white. Every model or drawing I have seen accepts this description, and it may well be correct. I am now reading the orignal German version of the collection of letters Bohme wrote to his sweetheart during the war. So far it has been fascinating, but I have not yet found anything to confirm or alter the "B/W Dragodile" theory.

I ask because every other dragon or crocodile I have ever seen or seen depicted, have been green or  shades of yellow green. (To be sure there have been some black and red dragons, but those are certainly another species entirely.)

The artist who rendered the Dragodiles for Bohme and Lademacher was very talented. It seems at least possible, if not likely that he would have used a shade of green or green yellow, if those colors were available. Since green was a common color for camo, it does seem probably that it was available.

Is there any evidence, apart from the 3 photos,  that bears on the Dragodile colors?

Did Boeke describe them? How do we know that they were black and white?

-- Jim Townsend